Wednesday, November 17, 2010

the old combination of socks, jocks and chocolates is just fine by me.

dude, i'm convinced that bugs in my room are only here to spy on me, record my activities in their little bug brains, and report any happenings to my crazy parental units. i mean, there's just no other explanation as to why they'd be interested in my room. it's cold, smells like a combination of hairspray, perfume, deodorant, energy drinks and computer heat, and just generally it's a shitty environment for a bug to call home. they're all fucking spies.
in other news, my sustainability exam actually went somewhat better than i thought it would given the fact i completely winged it without study. but yeah, i managed to answer 70% of the questions with some level of coherent thought! not that i'll pass, don't get me wrong - but for an exam that was completely unprepared for, i may as well have kicked ass tuesday morning. so what've i been up to since then? not a lot, to be fair. my beef today, or more appropriately what has been 'grinding my gears', is shitty customer service.

put it this way. i'm yvette, the saturday morning register girl at the discount shop down the road. most every saturday, i practice being the best kind of salesperson i can because it's something i genuinely enjoy, and something that draws customers in. you're directly representing the place you work when you deal with its customers. and as much as i loathe every conceivable fibre of the place, it's done me good. without being a modest fool, i feel i give pretty awesome customer service. i've had people ring up to tell me just how good that girl with the brown hair was when dealing with me in the blu-tack section last week. that's a great feeling.

..so, given my credibility as a decent salesperson combined with the fact i'm a clueless fuck who doesn't want to be there, you'd think ANYONE would be capable of the same, right? wrong. rung up harvey norman today (furniture + electrical appliances superstore) chasing a price and potential pre-order of the new assassin's creed game coming out today. now, i have nice phone manners because i'm used to HAVING to have nice phone manners, and i was nice about the fact it took five minutes for me to be switched through from the switchboard to dvds. seriously, five minutes is a long time to be waiting on the phone. so i finally get put through to dvds, and speak to a guy named john.

he told me the game i was after would be on sale in about two weeks time, and that it was $120. i had a copy of the big w and kmart catalogues, with big w being the cheapest and selling the game for $74. i mention this to the guy, and he tells me not to worry; they'll definitely be selling it at a lower price. so i remind him of the fact that it's already ON SALE, and he corrects himself saying it'll be a 'matter of time' before the prices are corrected, and tells me again how they're the cheapest in town. so, childish spruiking aside, i wasn't massively chuffed with this sore incompetent until i asked if i could pre-order the game under the knowledge that it would be cheaper than big w's prices upon collection.

he says, uhhhh sure. big pause. i ask, '..soo, can i give you my details for the pre-order now?' and he's like 'uhh, give me a second.' i give him two minutes. ask if he's still there. 'yeah..' more silence. i'm thinking wtf, is he doing something filthy? and then he says 'alright just one second.' and puts me on hold. another two minutes later, and someone else picks up the phone asking if they can help. i wasn't really in the mood for explaining myself all over again and asking the relevant cheapass consumer questions to get the best deal, so i just thanked him for his time and hung up.

for christ's sake. oh and that's not all, i have an angry customer experience regarding big w and dick smith electronics too, but i won't even go into it. i'm simply not in the mood.

my day started with me waking up at 1:44pm, thinking what the hell did i do yesterday and what day is it today, oh shit did i miss my exam, etc. i was then immediately confronted with the reality of just how goddamn hot my room was and how the fact i'd been SLEEPING UNDER A GIANT DOONA had escalated the temperature. having not showered the previous day, i tried to find something that wasn't going to make me rage about this somewhat unpleasant, sticky awakening. so i trudged off to the shower, hairdryer in tow.

coming out of that shower felt excellent, but it didn't really help the fact my room was a stifling prison camp. i went to complain about this fact to my mother, who i found to be napping in her room which was.. AIRCONDITIONED! i rejoiced in this small personal victory (finding a solution to the heat), and got right into bed with her. i woke up again at about 2pm when she started to slowly wake up and realise there was a bed intruder (don't say it) beside her, and so i quietly left this utopia for the loungeroom. i turned on the airconditioning out there (hey, she was asleep, what was she gonna do? sleep-rage?) and just basically chilled (very figuratively) for twenty minutes or so before going back to my room.

the rest of my day was spent playing bioshock, and getting myself to 40/51 achievements over the day-and-a-half that i've owned the game. pretty sad, huh? you betcha. anyway. i made my way outside upon the realization i hadn't eaten anything, and found to my absolute lack of surprise - nothing in the fridge, pantry, freezer, or secret food stash cupboard i'm not supposed to know about. i hate wednesdays for that reason - they're the day before the foodstocks are replenished. sad face. so tomorrow i'm going to be sure to stock up on iced coffee and nice food so i'm not as complainey come next wednesday.

so, as you may recall, blog, i have an exam today. it's 3:30am so technically 'today' is when my exam is, but i still think of it as 'tomorrow' given my sleep routine largely dictates my concept of time. which in itself is problematic, i suppose, because i tend to lose and gain days here and there which can be beneficial, but are usually detrimental. back to the point - this is going to be my final examination of the semester, as well as the year. psychology, who'da thought. well, combine the fact that i found the secret airconditioning remote with the fact that i share a relationship status with someone awesome enough to bring me cans of energy drinks and a quarter-pounder at midnight; you've got a pretty willing yvette here. study-wise, i mean.

gosh, you know i might just pass. jokes, i'm hoping to do more than that, i enjoyed psychology this semester. so that's all from me! my exam starts at 1:15pm (did i already say that?) and i'm looking to get all my study done relatively soonish so i can get some sleep in-between study and examination.

now before i go, i have to do two things: the first being telling you to check this out. it popped up on my facebook sidebar as a generic old advertisement, and drew me right in just on the basis of its awesome art deco style coverart. and you know what, i went and checked this album out and i can't say i mind it at all. you best be youtubin'. the second thing i wish to share with you, somewhat illegally i might add, is this. don't worry, i uploaded it myself so it's not some creepy virus file. kate miller-heidke is not my taste at all, but when she changes her style a little and sings a gorgeous cover of tim minchin's white wine in the sun, there's only one word for it. escapism. i had to jump over a lot of hoops to get the damn song too, so enjoy.

that's all from me on this unusually comfortable wednesday night. :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment